I would be less stressed from this predicament the world is facing right now if human beings showed some semblance of humanity. Compassion, generosity and selflessness was really all this virus demands of us and yet here we are.
All of the world’s ills are flagrantly dancing before our eyes like the golden calf scene from “The Ten Commandments”
This is no different from what I am seeing on the world’s beaches for those countries with the worst infection/mortality rates. Those same countries have deniers, affluent who believe that others would be willing to die for their ability to live comfortably and the terrorists using this very vulnerable world state to advance their hate crimes.
I just read a post in social media about the studies proving that the drug touted by a certain orange dictator poses severe risk of heart damage or death if used to battle the infection. And yet there are people who deny the science behind the studies and the mortalities from it as some liberal propaganda.
The Lancet is a medical journal produced for doctors to learn of the latest advances and studies in medicine. There is no rational excuse to believe that it is propaganda.
I know and absolutely espouse that science is not exact as it is ever evolving based on what we know at the time and what evidence presents itself with further testing to either prove or disprove a thesis. Just because the studies say that there is a high risk of death or further organ compromise of this drug and the data is sound, I do not believe we should tilt our tinfoil hats and decide the science is completely wrong. This is what we know now and we should act on what we know to be true now while continuing to test.
The thing I see is that no one is willing to test. Not surprising in my 30 year history in the testing arena. No one likes the testing portion of any development activity. Testing is necessary, early and often.
We cannot fully understand the impact of this pandemic or even qualify it as a pandemic without testing both the ill and the healthy to understand the whole environment and measure from there.
That is to have everyone take a baseline test to be sure at that moment in time they either had it or didn’t and then shelter in place the healthy who were not essential workers while those that did quarantined so they could let it run the course. With only essential workers out and about to support the infrastructure of those SIP and those on the lines. The essentials being tested every day while the otherwise sheltered or infirm are kept in isolation.
But hardly anyone was willing to take it to that level.
This is a simple and effective model. And for some countries, they put that in play and they saw the least impact of the virus for the great sacrifice they had to make. Hats off to you, New Zealand. You are superstars.
Never in my life have I seen such simpering, whimpering, insolence from so many about simple considerations for their fellow human.
- I’ve seen people hoarding basic supplies to make it difficult for their neighbors to shelter in place.
- I’ve seen assaults like punching, coughing and spitting at others when asked to show some consideration by wearing a mask.
- I’ve seen people using this compromised situation to behave like bigots against the asian population.
- I’ve seen people attempt to murder another for being asked to leave premises until they have properly worn PPE.
- I’ve seen people of affluence and power abuse the rules they put in place to protect from spread and then lie about it when the public questions their actions.
- I’ve seen people furloughed start protests to get their jobs back at the risk of contracting the virus rather than taking a remote work opportunity in the interim to keep everyone safe. One woman’s justification was “Why would I take a job I do not like for this period? When they can open the door at my previous job which I do like?”
- I’ve seen white supremacists use this time to assault/murder people of color because they feel they can.
- I’ve seen an increase in shooting victims in my own town because people do not know how to handle staying put.
- I’ve seen one politician claim that his parents would be willing to die to keep the stock market from tanking.
What the ever loving fuck is wrong with these people?
Don’t worry, this is a rhetorical question. I know what is wrong. People have not been raised to be generous, kind or compassionate. Their egos are what drives them and that is why this virus will kill far more people than it should.
I am well past weeping for this society.
Believe me, I know there are people who are generous, kind and compassionate through all of this and they are the ultimately the victims of the masses who are persisting the virus through their own avarice.
The overworked essential workers who are fighting fatigue and emotional stressors while new cases arrive keeping them in this situation. They do not need daily claps. They need hazard pay, steady stream of nourishment and PPE, and they need our full cooperation.