Remember when I offered you advice on manners and you considered that advice bullying?
Yeah, well buckle up dear buttercup, because I’m sharing more and take heart– this is not you this time, but the acts of others which are teachable moments:
- Tell someone the price of a gift you have given them.
- Pick a fight over politics at someone’s mother’s wake.
- Crash or tag along to an event if you’re not specifically invited.
- Express disdain over the food served to you at a dinner party which you do not like.
- Express ingratitude when given a gift you do not like.
- Be unkind to someone struggling.
- Ignore the request to RSVP to an event.
- Be late to an appointment.
- Keep someone waiting for a handwritten thank you or an expression of gratitude when you’ve been given a gift or assistance.
- Act put out if someone asks you for help.
- Avoid apologizing if you have clearly wronged someone.
- Never throw someone under the bus to advance yourself in earning esteem.
- Expect recognition, material compensation or tips for good deeds done
These seem obvious but, in case I am not around let this tidy list of etiquette be a handy guide to living better.